Tuesday 14 January 2014

Marathon



            On Christmas morning a couple years ago, I open up a present from my mother underneath the Christmas tree. I pull out a pair of running shorts and shirts. At that time I was regularly running just for fitness. I then thanked her for the gift but she told me there was more in the gift. I started to search around in the bag and at the bottom was a letter. I opened it up. Inside it reads, “Alex Erwin signed in for the BMO Vancouver marathon”. I then look up in surprise at my mother and say, “what the heck I’m doing a marathon!?”. She then looks back with a smile and polity says, “But with me honey!”. This was an interesting gift. I wondered if my mom was hinting I was out of shape! I then started to train for this marathon.
In May of 2013 was the month of the marathon. On the day of the marathon I was slightly nervous and excited. Running 42 km sounded insane in my head but I couldn’t back out now. Once the marathon started a huge pack of people mingling around each other began to spread across the start line. Eventually everyone began to spread out. Near the end of the run was running through the city. The rush I got from the citizens cheering me was incredible! Gazing around downtown Vancouver with thousands of people running by your side was very memorable. The Finish was by far the best feeling. The goal and accomplishment of finishing the marathon brought happiness to me.
If anyone is looking for a goal to strive towards or a life long changing experience, I highly recommend running a marathon. Not only does it test your strength but it also tests who you are. During the race there are lots of times you want to stop but you continue to coach yourself through it. It’s a memory of a goal you accomplishment all by yourself.
Me after finishing my first marathon!
Picture above: My albums
Cool website for runners: http://www.runningroom.com/hm/ 


No comments:

Post a Comment